Saturday, March 31, 2012

Strawberry No-Cook Overnight Refrigerator Oatmeal

A healthy no-cook breakfast... I'm in!!!
I saw this overnight refrigerator no-cook oatmeal idea on Pinterest The Yummy Life Blog and came up with my own recipe.
This is pretty easy and perfect for those of us who *ahem* aren't morning people but still want to have a healthy breakfast ready to go for the kids (and yourself)... This is great for lazy Saturday mornings and those rush out the door mornings. . . . And I'd really like to know if there is a more brilliant way of incorporating chia seeds into your diet!


Ingredients for each serving:
1/4 cup rolled oats (not instant, quick, or steel-cut)
1/4 cup yogurt (I used vanilla flavored)... if you use greek yogurt you need to increase the amount of milk you use to 1/3 cup b/c greek yogurt has less water in it.
1/4 cup milk (I used vanilla coconut milk... use whatever you prefer)
1 teaspoon chia seeds (we bought ours at New Seasons)
1 tablespoon strawberry jam
approx. 3 strawberries sliced into bite sized pieces

Directions:
In a 1 cup mason jar (I used the kids thermos containers) all my left over mason jars are being used as candle holders at this very moment - hahaaa!
So anyways... combine the oats, yogurt, milk, chia seeds and jam into the jar... seal lid and shake it like a Polaroid picture or like you're making one of those fancy foo foo mixed drinks :)
Remove lid and add fresh fruit... gently shake this time and place in the fridge overnight.
The next morning --- breakfast is served!!!
Eat cold.... These are good in the fridge for a couple days.
I was really worried my kids wouldn't like these but they LOVED it!
You can switch up the flavors and fruit... get creative!

No comments: