Tuesday, October 4, 2011

It's National Taco Day!

So I read earlier today that its "National Taco Day"... no joke... I even googled it to make sure. haaa!

Well at our house Tuesday is usually "Taco Tuesday"... it's a meal I've made a million times!

I guess today's post will be about TACOS!

My health tip is to substitute ground beef with all white meat ground breast of chicken or turkey. Dooo it! Cows everywhere will thank you - ha!

I usually buy it pre-packaged at Trader Joes... I think its a 20 oz pkg... plenty to feed an entire family and maybe you'll even have some left overs for lunch the next day.

I also recommend going to the meat counter at your local store and buying only the amount of ground chicken/turkey that you need. Preferably a cut that is good for you… you know, organic veggie fed free range no hormones all natural whatever the healthiest option is Yada Yada Yada. If you’re like me and on a tight grocery budget you think well sheesh that’s too spendy and I can’t afford it… BUT if you only buy 3/4 lb (family of 4) instead of the big 20 oz pre-packaged container... it becomes more affordable and you avoid leftovers that sit in the fridge only to be thrown out later.

It is my opinion that as a society we eat WAY too much meat... really we should only be eating a 4-6 oz portion of meat at dinner. We really should stop making MEAT the main attraction and it would solve a lot of health issues. Reduce your portion sizes and now you can afford the better cut of meat & organic produce to go with it!!!

Sooo as far as cooking goes... MAKE sure to cook it thoroughly but avoid overcooking or it becomes too dry. Poultry needs to be cooked to 165*... I like to cook with a bit of olive oil and season the ground breast of chicken or turkey with cumin, garlic & onion powder and I have a big container of taco seasoning from Costco that I use.

For those of you who want to save on carbs (i.e. NO tortillas or shells) put the seasoned taco meat and toppings over a bed of mixed greens!

Easy Peasy!

No comments: