Thursday, October 13, 2011

Go GREEN!

A couple months ago my hubby bought some Matcha... I thought to myself "oh great another gross thing I have to consume because it's good for me!"

I like to eat sushi often and usually I'll order green tea... most of the time it tastes like DIRT and I end up wishing I had ordered ice tea or just plain ol' water.

Well to my surprise Matcha doesn't taste like dirt... it's really good and it's really good for you... WINNING! Haaaa!

SOO what is Matcha and why is it good for you?

Well Matcha is finely ground whole green tea leaves. You’re actually consuming the tea leaf itself instead of just steeping your tea with the leaf.  Drinking tea with whole leaves means you’re getting more nutrients & fiber.

Matcha contains antioxidant compounds called polyphenols that according to research aid in the prevention of heart disease and cancer.  Other benefits of Matcha are tension & stress relief, as well as, improvement in concentration and mental focus. Hey, that sounds good to me!!!

To prepare my "afternoon tea" (sounds fancy) I add a teaspoon of Matcha to my cup and pour warm (not boiling) water about halfway and I whisk till it’s frothy. Next, I add a teaspoon or two of local RAW honey... stirring till melted. Then I add warm or room temperature water to fill the cup... it is important not to add water that is too hot of a temperature because it will compromise the healthy enzymes in both the green tea and raw honey. (Also, never microwave honey - it will kill the enzymes as well)

Matcha is a Japanese tea that is available in the United States now. My husband bought ours online but with it gaining popularity I’m sure it’s available in most health food stores.



2 comments:

T.P.E. said...

Why does it not surprise me that Brian is the one to introduce you to Matcha...lol. Ho hum...suppose I'll have to try it to... ;)

LC n ZaX MoMa said...

Just so everyone knows... We bought our "DO Matcha" on Amazon.com ... it comes from Japan. ;)